Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Eating in Malacca

My intention of heading down to Malacca this round was just to enjoy Jonker Street and just to get away from the routine of life.

On the first day, once we checked in we headed few steps down the road and went in the first restaurant that we saw which was Restoran Peranakan. 

The restaurant was half full but we were served quickly. The food came fairly fast too and I'm not sure whether cause I was hungry (it was 2 pm) or the food was delicious. 








The tofu was sister's favorite and father said the ayam ponteh was delicious. The other dishes were just okay. 

The waitresses were not exactly smiling but they were running around tables so it's understandable that they're busy. 



The first evening we were at the mall and decided to just settle for food court which was nothing spectacular. 

The next day, we went out to Jonker Street after the hotel breakfast and I did a u turn when I spotted this. 



Potted ice cream. I bought chocolate cream chip but my mint leaves flew away. The ice cream was just plain, nothing extraordinary but I appreciate the "soil" chocolate on top. 

Bonus : you get to keep the pot for gardening. Actually saw an auntie picking these up in the trash. 

For lunch, we queued up for Hoe Kee's chicken rice balls just to see what the fuss was about. The other famous chicken rice ball shop was Chung Wah but it had a longer queue. 

They took our order while we were in line and after 10 minutes, we got in. 



Chicken served with cabbage, ball rice and loose rice. 

The ball rice tasted the same as the loose rice but it has extra flavour due to being pressed together - molded into a ball. 

For big rice eaters though - the loose rice would be more sufficient.

At night, we were walking out to Jonker again to look for dinner but halfway there, we decided to queue for Nancy's Kitchen. Everytime we walked past this cafe, there's always a queue and just like a tourist, we stood in queue for half an hour. 



Our order took an hour to arrive and most of the famous dishes were finished. Bummer. 

What I didn't like was our 5 dishes were served separately. When the first 3 dishes came, we were famished and started eating. If we waited, the dishes would be cold. 



The following 2 dishes came 10 minutes later so we were left sitting there waiting with our remainder rice. The food was mediocre and just alright. I was disappointed that the famous dishes were all gone. 


Another night market walk. It's ridiculous  to see these trishaws all lit up Frozen or Hello Kitty theme. Overrated. Plus they were riding around town blasting Let It Go. Oh my gosh.. where has the traditional trishaw disappear to. 

Before we left Malacca, I wanted to try this little egg ice cream that I saw people eating. 



I was fairly disappointed because the one I got was colored ice. It was not creamy. 

There were other places which I wanted to go as well but didn't manage to. I wanted to go to Baba Charlie - a famous kueh place but unfortunately when we reached, there was a tour bus outside and the place was so packed so we left. 

I was debating whether to go for Capitol Satay Celup but it was some distance walk away and it was raining the evening we were nearby the area. 

The next time I'm in Malacca, I would probably want to stay out of town, maybe somewhere closer to the A Famosa Resort area just to experience a different environment than the crowded busy town. 

Later dayz, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...